- 2 teaspoons of lime zest
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of light rum
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box of strawberry cake mix
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container of strawberry Cool Whip
- 6 fresh (cap quartered) strawberries
- lime zest
- In a glass measuring cup, mix together the lime peel and juice with rum and adding water to bring liquid up to 1 1/4 cups.
- Beat in the cake mix, lime/rum/water mixture, apple sauce and eggs in a bowl using an electric mixer running on low speed for half a minute, then on medium speed for a few minutes.
- Line the muffin cups with baking cups.
- Spoon batter into the cups, filling at 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees in the oven until the wooden toothpick inserted in central portion of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from pans immediately then place on the wire racks and have them cooled completely.
- Pipe/spread the cool whip or frosting on top of each cake.
- Garnish each with a quarter of strawberry and a bit of the grated lime peel.
You can find the original recipe here.