For the cupcakes:
1 box of lemon cake mix with pudding
1 1/2 cups of blueberries
1 tablespoon of grated lemon peel
1 package (3 oz) of softened cream cheese
For the frosting and garnish:
2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
3/4 cup of softened unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoons of vanilla
1 cup fresh of blueberries
- Preheat theoven to 375° Fahrenheit. Place the paper baking cup in each of the regular-sized muffin cups.
- In one bowl, toss in 2 tablespoons of the dry cake mix with 1 1/2 cups of blueberries; then have it set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the remaining cake mix, water, oil, lemon peel, eggs and cream cheese using an electric mixer running at low speed for half a minute. Beat at medium speed for a few minutes, scraping bowl every now and then. Fold in the blueberry mixture into the batter. Divide batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 2o minutes or until tops have a light golden brown colour. Cool for several minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely for about an hour.
- In a new bowl, beat the powdered sugar, butter, 1 teaspoon of lemon peel, the salt, vanilla and 1 of tablespoon milk on high speed for a few minutes or until the mixture is smooth and blended, adding more milk by teaspoonfuls when needed. Start frosting the cupcakes. Garnish with a cup of blueberries, lemon peel and mint leaves. Store in an air-sealed container at room temperature.
You can find the original recipe here.